A series of bronze plaques are embedded in the footpath from outside the entrance to St. George’s Heritage and Visitor Centre on to the western side of Main Street and up to Summerhill ( formerly Gallows Hill), and represent a wretched adult and child making their way in desperation to their last hope
From St. George’s Heritage and Visitor Centre, follow the brass plaques trail to the Workhouse Attic Memorial.
Introductory displays recall the role of the workhouse during the famine era. Famine victims were recorded as living in these whitewashed quarters. A famine graveyard in the grounds is another legacy of this poignant chapter of Irish history.
The adjacent reading room provides an opportunity to look through reproduced copies of the Carrick Workhouse Board of Guardians Minute Books (1843 – 1850) and to browse other evocative items of interest.
Access to the workhouse attic and reading room is by guided tour and can be arranged with the St. George’s Heritage and Visitor Centre staff.